SOAR Benefits Specialist
SOAR Benefits Specialists
SAFE Rapid Rehousing Program seeks a full-time SOAR Benefits Specialists. The SOAR Benefits Specialist is responsible for providing assistance to homeless individuals with disabilities by assisting them with applying for and receiving disability benefits.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color; LGBTQ+ identified people; gender-nonconforming people; individuals with disabilities; veterans; and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of SOAR Benefits Specialists. This is a full-time, exempt position at our Grove Campus location with the ability to work hybrid from home and in office. Travel is required to meet clients in person. SALARY UPDATE: We will pay you an annual salary of $45,000 to $48,000 based on experience.
- Responsible for SOAR services to SAFE clients who are homeless and have a disability. Work with clients to collect medical records and personal/medical history, complete functional assessment, write recommendations and submit SOAR applications to the Social Security Administration in a timely and effective manner.
- Help clients to increase income in support of their housing stability and self-sufficiency goals. Carry a caseload of at least 6 SOAR clients.
- Provide information in a clear and simple manner; be flexible and responsive to clients, colleagues and community partners; and demonstrate reliability and consistency in order to instill trust.
- Excellent time management, attention to detail, and organizational skills required. Demonstrate excellent decision quality.
- Complete interviews with individuals to gather information to complete SSI/SSDI applications and gather medical records and other information to complete SSI/SSDI applications.
- Coordinate case management services with partners and help with providing case management services to individuals when needed.
- Coordinate visits to medical doctors, psychiatrists, and other specialists to obtain evidence for the application.
- Bachelor’s degree in a human service-related field or lived experience and/or other professional experience working with individuals who are experiencing homelessness.
- Experience providing direct service advocacy or case management services required.
- Knowledge of domestic and sexual violence, human trafficking, and child abuse required; familiarity with risk assessment and safety planning required.
- Ability to listen carefully, build rapport, gather and synthesize information, and work effectively with a diverse group of clients.
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation required. This position will conduct regular home visits and community-based services.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well as a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change. COVID vaccines are still highly recommended, and we encourage employees to get vaccinated if they are able.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance. *
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance. *
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more. *
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
Please Note: All new employees regardless of status will be required to start their employment on either the 1st or 16th of the month and will be required to attend a three-day new employee orientation that is held both in-person and virtually.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For the most up-to-date and comprehensive list of our job openings, please visit our career page: http://jobs.safeaustin.org