Youth Care Worker
Youth Care Worker
SAFE Children’s Shelter seeks a full-time Youth Care Worker. Our Children’s shelter serves youth in foster care ages 0-22. Every child we serve has trauma in their history. Our Youth Care Workers play a mentor role for our youth. Overall our daily goal is to provide a safe and nurturing environment on a daily basis.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including: Black, Indigenous, and People of Color; LGBTQ+ identified people; gender-nonconforming people; individuals with disabilities; veterans; and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of Youth Care Worker. This is a FULL-TIME, NON-EXEMPT position at our Rathgeber Village Campus. We will pay you an hourly salary of $18.00 per hour. Currently the available shifts are:
- Front Half AM (Sun-Weds 6am-3pm)
- Front Half PM (Sun-Weds 2pm-11pm)
- Back Half AM (Weds-Sat 6am-3pm)
- Back Half PM (Weds-Sat 2pm-11pm)
- Monitoring the behavior and activities of children and youth in a residential child care setting.
- Providing a safe, comfortable, and nurturing environment.
- Providing direct care programs and services to assigned children.
- Serving as a positive role model to the children and youth.
- Applying approved behavior modification techniques to de-escalate inappropriate behaviors.
- Performing physical containments of youth when necessary to prevent harm to self or to others.
- Providing positive reinforcement and support to youth.
- Demonstrate ability to manage emotions and perform in high pressure and/or crisis situation with calm, care, and unconditional positive regard for youth.
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Have a valid, State of Texas Driver’s License, and:
- At least three (3) consecutive years of driving experience OR one (1) year of driving experience if over 27 years of age; and
- An acceptable driving record; and
- If in possession of an out-of-state license, obtain a State of Texas Driver’s License within 90 days of beginning employment.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED (Bachelor’s degree preferred).
One year experience working with youth, especially when working with youth in a residential or foster care setting preferred.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well as submit to a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- Adhere to our Guiding Principles, Mission, Core Competencies and Confidentiality Policy.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change. COVID vaccines are still highly recommended, and we encourage employees to get vaccinated if they are able.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance. *
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance. *
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For a more comprehensive list of all openings at SAFE, please visit our job board.