Family Shelter Housekeeper
Family Shelter Housekeeper
SAFE Family Shelter seeks a Full-Time housekeeper. SAFE's Kelly White Family Shelter is an emergency shelter for families and individuals of all genders escaping domestic and sexual violence. The position is responsible for the cleanliness, health, and sanitation of the Family Shelter Building. The Shelter Housekeeper will also assist with other operations within the shelter building such as cleaning client rooms for clients who have exited the program, cleaning communal spaces and stocking of essential supplies. Work for this position, is located where our survivors live.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety, and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color; LGBTQ+ identified people; gender-nonconforming people; individuals with disabilities; veterans; and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of Family Shelter Housekeeper. This is a full-time non-exempt position at the SAFE Family Shelter. We will pay you an hourly rate of $19/hr. The hours available for this position are 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm.
- Maintains health and sanitation standards of the shelter building by utilizing checklists provided and amended by the Shelter Operations Manager.
- Assists in cleaning and preparing client bedrooms when clients exit shelter. This includes bagging personal items, trash, cleaning bathroom areas, sweep, mop etc.
- Prepares client bedrooms for new intake to include making the bed, stocking the room with basic need essentials.
- Performs daily cleaning of the shelter building, including cluster communal areas (kitchens, stoves, dining rooms, living rooms and laundry rooms; exterior patio and porch areas; interior communal areas such as the foyer, dining room, etc.
- Sorts and puts away all exited client belongings in storage, in a timely manner.
- Cleans and maintains organization of client storage areas; sort, stack, and arrange items in an organized manner.
- In accordance with the team philosophy of the agency, may routinely be required to conduct or assist with other tasks in addition to the duties listed above.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in cleaning and janitorial duties.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED (preferred).
- Ability to follow proper procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and dispensers.
- Experience working in residential facilities preferred but not required.
- Ability to work independently and identify areas that need to be cleaned.
- Ability to operate cleaning equipment such as vacuums, mops, sweepers, and brooms.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change. COVID vaccines are still highly recommended, and we encourage employees to get vaccinated if they are able.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance.*
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance.*
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more.*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For the most up-to-date and comprehensive list of our job openings, please visit our career page.