Shelter Director, Community Shelter
Shelter Director, Community Shelter
The SAFE Alliance seeks a full-time Shelter director for the Community Shelter program. The Community Shelter is a 24/7 program that serves singles and families who have experienced, child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence. The Shelter Director is responsible for the daily programming and operation of the Community Shelter. This involves creating and supporting physical and emotional safe environments for residents and staff. Responsibilities include direct management and supervision of shelter managers, coordinators, and program staff. The Community Shelter Director works closely with other internal programs as well as external partners to make sure the program is meeting the needs of the community. The Community Shelter is currently using a scattered site model that will develop into a traditional shelter setting. This position may provide mobile services and the use of a personal vehicle and or the ability to drive a 15-passenger van is required.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color; LGBTQ+ identified people; gender-nonconforming people; individuals with disabilities; veterans; and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of Community Shelter Director. This is a full-time, exempt position at our Community Shelter. This position does travel between sites and may do work from alternate SAFE locations. This position will provide in person services. We will pay you a salary in the range of $58,000 - $60,000.
- Directly supervises and work with a 24/7 program team to provide day to day oversight of program activities; respond to crises situations when necessary.
- Plans, develops, implements, and maintains all shelter services that promote safety, healing, and empowerment and that is responsive to the adults, children and families living in the shelter.
- Ensures accountability and monitors compliance when coordinating across all departments and externally to ensure employee and agency adherence with contractual and organizational regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
- Developing, implementing, or modifying and improving existing programs, and consistently aims these efforts toward improving employee job satisfaction, engagement, and excellence.
- Utilizes and models outstanding interpersonal skill in all interactions; develops strong professional relationships with supervisees and other leaders within the organization, providing routine and unplanned/crisis driven supervision and consultation whenever necessary.
- Ensures shelter processes, procedures and documentation ensures safety and remains client-focused, therapeutic, and culturally competent.
- Exercises considerable judgment, discretion, and initiative in the performance of duties within established policies and procedures.
- Ensures program operates within budgetary constraints.
- Screens, interviews, and hires staff, and provides specific program-related orientation for new staff.
- With assistance from the program management team, monitors progress and ensures training compliance.
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree in Social Work or other related field; Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Four years’ experience in direct client work required. Preference given to experience in a residential, crisis, and/or homeless or domestic violence shelter program.
- Four years supervisory and management experience in a comparable position.
- Experience and skilled in data entry/collection using online database to track program outputs/outcomes and in the use of computer software including word processing, spread sheet, and power point.
- Experience working with domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking or homeless programs.
- Experience working in a high stress, fast-paced environment while maintaining a calm and professional demeanor.
- Experience establishing rapport, trust and boundaries with clients.
- Experience in working with varied ethnic groups and demonstrated cultural competence.
- The ability to drive agency vans and/or your personal vehicle to visit and support multiple sites.
- Must have a valid, State of Texas Driver’s License, and at least three (3) consecutive years of driving experience OR one (1) year of driving experience if over 27 years of age; AND an acceptable driving record; AND if in possession of an out-of-state license, obtain a State of Texas Driver’s License within 90 days of beginning employment.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change. COVID vaccines are still highly recommended, and we encourage employees to get vaccinated if they are able.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance.*
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance.*
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more.*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For the most up-to-date and comprehensive list of our job openings, please visit our career page.