Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
SAFE’s CFO is an Executive Leadership position participating in setting strategy, collaboratively ensuring financial excellence, and managing and directing the SAFE Finance Department. The CFO is responsible for all of SAFE’s financial accounting, reporting, compliance, budgeting, external audit and monitoring processes and functions. The CFO is the staff liaison with the Board Finance Committee and coordinates financial activities with the boards of SAFE’s supporting organizations. The CFO coordinates with all departments to ensure excellence in government and philanthropic grants, payroll, accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and related functions. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, staff communications, financial policy and procedures, investment policies, tax matters and assisting other members of the SAFE community as needs arise. Currently SAFE intends to implement new technology and improve and modify internal processes, we are seeking a CFO to lead this transformational process.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 30 programs, close to 400 staff positions, and a $32million dollar budget, SAFE has been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color; LGBTQIA+ identified people; gender-nonconforming people; individuals with disabilities; veterans; and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of Chief Financial Officer. This is a full time, exempt position working from SAFE’s Rathgeber Village Campus, 4800 Manor Rd. in Austin. The salary range is $130,000 - $140,000.
- Provides organizational leadership & strategy to the SAFE boards, Executive Team, SAFE Directors and the Finance Team. Oversees annual and long-term budgetary planning and cost management strategies; responsible for SAFE’s financial relationships with banking institutions, investment brokers, insurance agents, auditors, governmental monitors, and other critical financial collaborators; and provides financial advice on investments, refinancing, and capital campaign planning, annual operations, and strategic growth opportunities.
- Oversees agency financial management, administration, and compliance in accordance with GAAP, regulatory requirements, OMB Audit requirements, and best practices for non-profit accountability; trains staff leaders and managers on budgeting and understanding financial statements; provides transparent financial reports; and coordinates across all departments to ensure employee and agency compliance with contractual and organizational regulations, standards, policies, and procedures. Responsible for optimizing work processes by modifying and improving existing tools to improve efficiencies agency-wide and for the finance team. Directs necessary improvements and modifications in finance policies, practices, activities, and systems.
- Team Management including structuring, attracting, hiring, developing, supervising and retaining employees while promoting a spirit of teamwork and excellence in finance functions.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Eight to ten years of experience in progressively more responsible positions in accounting or financial management required. At least 5 years’ experience as CFO preferred.
- Have a specific background in managing accounting and financial systems in a non-profit environment using fund accounting and budgeting.
- Experience in supervising staff and providing direction in such a manner as to produce productive and efficient operations.
- Excellent working knowledge of accounting software capabilities. Experience with Abila-MIP Fund Accounting software preferred.
- Experience managing governmental and philanthropic grant programs from application to administration.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change. COVID vaccines are still highly recommended, and we encourage employees to get vaccinated if they are able.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance.*
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance.*
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more.*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For the most up-to-date and comprehensive list of our job openings, please visit our career page.