Bilingual Education and Training Specialist
Bilingual Education and Training Specialist (Disability Services)
SAFE’s Disability Services Program seeks a full time Bilingual Education and Training Specialist to consult, train, and co-train with program staff to ensure education, training, and activities are accessible to youth and adults with developmental disabilities—as well as the people in their everyday lives (parents, teachers, service providers, etc.). Education and training topics focus on healthy relationship development and sexuality education.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color; LGBTQ+ identified people; gender-nonconforming people; individuals with disabilities; veterans; and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of Bilingual Education and Training Specialist. This is a full-time, exempt position at our Grove Street Resource Center. Local & occasional state wide training is required, thus driving is required. We will pay you an annual salary of $38,000 to $40,000 plus a language differential of $3,600 annually.
- Ensures education and training curriculum/activities are accessible to participants whose primary language is Spanish.
- Collaboratively teaches/co-teaches healthy relationships and sexuality education with youth and adults with disabilities in local schools and community settings.
- Provides education/training on topics above with stakeholders in the everyday lives of people with disabilities (i.e., parents, providers, room-mates, teachers, etc.).
- Teach and/or co-teach healthy relationships, dating relationships, and sexuality classes with special education students 14+ in public high schools.
- Prepares and provides engaging/effective small and large group education and training events.
- Works with other staff to ensure program materials, products, delivery of training is professional, purposeful, engaging, relevant, and ethical.
- Attends workgroup meetings with community stakeholders as needed.
- Maintains ethical, fair, active and cooperative collaborations with SAFE, Disability Services, and both project and community partners.
- Three or more years of lived/or professional experience working with people with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Adult Education, Social Work, Psychology, Rehabilitation, and/or a related field required.
- Minimum of three (or more) years of experience public speaking, learning, and delivering education/ training to people with disabilities (with low and high support needs) and to the professionals that serve them.
- This position requires dependable transportation and local (and occasional) out of town travel.
- Must have a valid, State of Texas Driver’s License, and at least three (3) consecutive years of driving experience OR one (1) year of driving experience if over 27 years of age; AND an acceptable driving record; AND if in possession of an out-of-state license, obtain a State of Texas Driver’s License within 90 days of beginning employment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change. COVID vaccines are still highly recommended, and we encourage employees to get vaccinated if they are able.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance.*
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance.*
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more.*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For the most up-to-date and comprehensive list of our job openings, please visit our career page.