SAFE’s Sexual Assault Services department seeks a full-time forensic nurse to join our team of outstanding and dedicated nurses. The forensic nursing program operates 24/7 and responds to requests for medical care and forensic evidence collection for survivors of recent sexual assault at the agency’s clinic and hospitals in central Texas.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color; LGBTQ+ identified people; gender-nonconforming people; individuals with disabilities; veterans; and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of Forensic Nurse. This is a full time, exempt position at our forensic nursing clinic in southeast Austin. Some travel to area hospitals is required and some remote work is expected at this time. We will pay you an annual salary of $66,000 to $74,000.
- Provide timely trauma-informed care to patients requesting medical or forensic examination following a sexual assault.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies, systems, services, and processes of the Sexual Assault Services Department.
- Offer prophylaxis for pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections when indicated
- Offer photo documentation when indicated.
- Offer referrals for appropriate medical, legal, and psychological follow-up.
- Participate in legal proceedings including trial prep and testimony.
- Night and weekend call is mandatory for this position.
- Possess a Texas or compact state RN license.
- Have at least two years' nursing experience.
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner certification with the Texas Office of the Attorney General or the International Association of Forensic Nurses OR ability to certify with either.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well as submit to a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- Required vaccination for:
- Measles, mumps, rubella x2, or positive titer
- Varicella x2, positive titer, or medically documented history of having the disease
- Current seasonal flu vaccine or a signed declination
- Hepatitis B x3, positive titer, or a signed declination
- Tdap vaccination or a signed declination
- Current seasonal COVID-19 vaccine (All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change.)
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance.*
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance.*
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more.*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
Please note: All new employees regardless of FTE status will be required to start their employment on (or around) either the 1st or 16th of the month and will be required to attend a three-day new employee orientation that is held both in-person and virtually.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For the most up-to-date and comprehensive list of our job openings, please visit our career page.