Sexual Assault Advocate (Bilingual)
Sexual Assault Advocate (Bilingual)
SAFE’s Sexual Assault Victim Advocacy Program seeks a bilingual, full-time victim advocate to provide medical and legal accompaniment, advocacy, and follow-up support to survivors of sexual assault.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color; LGBTQ+ identified people; gender-nonconforming people; individuals with disabilities; veterans; and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of Sexual Assault Advocate (Bilingual). This is a full time, exempt position primarily dispatched to our Grove Boulevard clinic in East Austin, but you can be dispatched to any facility in Travis County. This position works a staggered workweek from Sunday-Thursday and is on-call from 11am-11pm Sunday-Tuesday. We will pay you an annual salary of $44,000 - $45,000 plus an additional language differential of $3,600 annually to those bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Provide client-centered, trauma-informed survivor accompaniments in English and Spanish. Accompaniments include service and support with:
- Medical (such as forensic exams, HIV prophylaxis, and strangulation care)
- Law enforcement (such as delayed reports, kit conversions, and detective interviews)
- Legal (Title IX hearings, and court proceedings)
- Provide face-to-face crisis intervention and support, discuss medical and legal options, and explain The SAFE Alliance support services (such as counseling, legal advocacy and follow-up services).
- Provide strengths-based, trauma-informed advocacy follow-up services in English and Spanish to survivors.
- Advocates are dispatched to any medical facility in Travis County and must present to accompaniment site within one hour of dispatch.
- Attend team meetings during your work days.
- Advocates work a 5 day, 40-hour week Sunday to Thursday. Advocates are on-call 3 of those 5 days, so for 36 hours of the 40 hours they are on call from Sunday to Tuesday.
- Schedules are static, providing a predictable and consistent work week. Every 5th week, advocates work a 40-hour week with no on-call. We take care of each other, promote wellness, and foster a culture of shared responsibility and sustainability.
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in social or behavioral sciences, or related field; equivalent relevant work experience may be substituted for degree.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is required.
- Minimum 1 year experience providing crisis stabilization support and advocacy, or case management services to trauma/sexual assault survivors is required.
- Have a valid, State of Texas Driver’s License, and:
- At least three (3) consecutive years of driving experience OR one (1) year of driving experience if over 27 years of age; AND an acceptable driving record; AND if in possession of an out-of-state license, obtain a State of Texas Driver’s License within 90 days of beginning employment.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well a pre-employment drug screen and TB test is applicable.
- This position requires in-person service delivery, even during COVID19. Therefore, COVID19 vaccination and booster are required along with Personal protective equipment (PPE) which is also required and can be provided.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance. *
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance. *
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 8 Paid holidays, and more*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
Please Note: All new employees regardless of employment status will be required to start their employment on either the 1st or 16th of the month and will be required to attend a three-day new employee orientation that is held both in-person and virtually on the first three days of the month.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For the most up-to-date and comprehensive list of our job openings, please visit our career page.