Family Shelter Resident Advisor
- Austin, TX
- Full Time
- Family Shelter
- Entry Level
Family Shelter Resident Advisor
SAFE's Family Shelter seeks Resident Advisors, three positions are available. Resident Advisors serve to provide front desk coverage and respond to our survivors needs in the moment. They work to maintain a welcoming shelter to ensure a safe shelter environment for our survivors. SAFE's Kelly White Family Shelter is an emergency shelter for families and individuals of all genders escaping domestic and sexual violence.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ identified people, gender-nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of Resident Advisor. We are offering three different shifts; part-time, full-time and PRN, all are non-exempt at our Grove campus Family Shelter. We will pay you an hourly salary starting at $19.00. Applicants bilingual in both the Spanish and English language will receive a $1.73 language differential. The shifts currently available are:
- Part Time, Weekend- Saturday & Sunday 4pm-12am every weekend
- Part Time, Overnight, Weekend- Friday & Saturday 11pm-7am every weekend
- Full Time, Overnight- Monday-Friday 12am-8am
- PRN/Relief overnight hours starting at 11pm/12am-7am/8am
- Provides front desk coverage (answering incoming calls, responding to intercoms, assisting residents at front desk, etc.).
- Conduct client intakes and exits from shelter in accordance with Safe policies and procedures.
- Maintain a safe shelter environment by de-escalating or responding to crisis situations in a professional and respectful manner, engage the support of emergency services when needed, and document any such incidents according to the facility’s standards.
- Provide crisis intervention and resident assistance to those in the Family Shelter.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or a related field OR substitute 4 years relevant work, volunteer or life experience required.
- 1-2 years’ direct client or crisis intervention experience preferred.
- Experience working with domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking or homeless programs preferred.
- Ability to work in a high stress, fast-paced environment while maintaining a calm and professional demeanor.
- Ability to establish rapport, trust and boundaries with clients.
- Ability to use office equipment, Microsoft Office products, and other software on a PC platform to enter/update data into our database regularly.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change. COVID vaccines are still highly recommended, and we encourage employees to get vaccinated if they are able.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance.*
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance.*
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more.*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For the most up-do-date and comprehensive list of job openings at SAFE, please, visit our job board.