The SAFE Alliance seeks a full time cook to support our Children’s Shelter program. The Cook, as part of the Food Services team, is responsible for providing breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner 7 days a week to the youth survivors living in the Children’s Shelter. Duties include, but are not limited to food preparation, meal service, menu planning, food acquisition, National School Lunch Program documentation, kitchen cleaning and upkeep.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color; LGBTQ+ identified people; gender-nonconforming people; individuals with disabilities; veterans; and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of Cook, this is a full-time, non-exempt position at our Rathgeber Village location. This position will report to the Food Services Manager and will work alongside two (2) other cooks. The work hours are Friday-Tuesday, 9a-5p and you will be required to hold a current, valid Austin Health Department Food Handlers permit or obtain one within 30 days of employment. We will pay you an hourly salary of $18-$20/hour.
- Prepares meals according to recipes for 25-80 people. All food must be prepared, maintained, and served according to US Department of Agriculture, National School Lunch Program, and Austin Health Department standards.
- Package and deliver meals to multiple onsite locations using delivery van.
- Keeps the kitchen, appliances and working surfaces in a clean, sanitary condition.
- Complete production sheets in accordance with National School Lunch Program standards.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED (preferred)
- At least 1 year of experience cooking and possess basic cooking and knife handling skills.
- Must have a current, valid, Austin Health Department Food Handler’s permit, or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of beginning employment.
- Must have a valid, State of Texas Driver’s License, and at least three (3) consecutive years of driving experience OR one (1) year of driving experience if over 27 years of age; AND an acceptable driving record; AND if in possession of an out-of-state license, obtain a State of Texas Driver’s License within 90 days of beginning employment.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions, overlapping duties, changing priorities and demonstrate flexibility and positivity when doing so.
- Be capable of standing for extended periods of time as well as be able to push, pull, or lift 20+lbs. of force.
- With reasonable accommodation, this position requires the manual dexterity to sufficiently operate phones, computers, and other office and kitchen equipment.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well as a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change. COVID vaccines are still highly recommended, and we encourage employees to get vaccinated if they are able.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance.*
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance.*
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more.*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
Please Note: All new employees regardless of FTE status will be required to start their employment on either the 1st or 16th of the month and will be required to attend a three-day new employee orientation that is held both in-person and virtually.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For the most up-to-date and comprehensive list of our job openings, please visit our career page.