Bilingual Shelter Advocate- Community Shelter
- Austin, TX
- Full Time
- Community Shelter
Bilingual Shelter Advocate- Community Shelter
Community Shelter seeks a full-time, Bilingual Shelter Advocate. A Shelter Advocate provides face to face services to clients staying at our Community Shelter. This position is responsible for client assessments, case management, client support, education, referral and collaborating with internal and external programs. The Community Shelter is currently using a scattered site model that will develop into a traditional shelter setting with 24/7 staff. This position may provide mobile services and the use of a personal vehicle and or the ability to drive a 15 passenger van is required. This position will provide services remote and in person.
- SAFE’s mission is our name: Stop Abuse For Everyone. We achieve our mission by acknowledging and responding to the intersection of child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence.
- The SAFE Alliance grew out of the courageous work of the Center for Battered Women, the Austin Rape Crisis Center, and the Austin Children’s Shelter, all respected, women-led human service agencies created by volunteers and informed by survivors who needed support, safety and justice.
- With over 20 programs and 400 staff, we have been serving the Austin community and beyond for over 30 years.
- The SAFE Alliance strongly encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ identified people, gender-nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people who speak a language in addition to English.
About this position:
- We need you to fill the role of a SHELTER ADVOCATE. This is a FULL TIME, SALARIED NON-EXEMPT position at The Community Shelter. We will pay you an annual salary of $42,000 - $45,600. The shifts available are generally Monday-Friday 8am-4pm, 9am-5pm or 10am-6pm.
- Provide trauma informed support and guidance to survivors of child abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence and/or human trafficking residing in our family shelter program.
- Provide support to survivors living in our Family Shelter program with immediate needs, communal living issues, safety planning and help them access internal and external services to address health, access to benefits, legal, housing needs and anything else that will help them re-establish their lives.
- Maintain a safe environment by de-escalating or responding to crisis situations in a professional and respectful manner, engage the support of emergency services when needed, and document any such incidents according to the our program standards.
- Maintain excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage details and multiple priorities effectively and possess the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Possess exceptional communication and listening skills to effectively be part of an interdisciplinary team to support those we serve.
- Completing all required data entry for clients, such as client service logs.
- Driving an agency van to provide assistance to clients while they obtain their self-sufficiency goals.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology or related field or substitute three years of work experience in a related field required.
- One year experience in human services is required.
- 1-2 years’ direct client or crisis intervention experience preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English required.
- Knowledge of issues and systems related to domestic violence, sexual abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and homelessness preferred.
- Ability to work in a high stress, fast-paced environment while maintaining a calm and professional demeanor.
- Ability to establish rapport, trust and boundaries with clients.
- Ability to use office equipment, Microsoft Office products, and other software on a PC platform to enter/update data into our database regularly.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19, which may be subject to change. COVID vaccines are still highly recommended, and we encourage employees to get vaccinated if they are able.
- Have a valid, State of Texas Driver’s License, and:
- At least three (3) consecutive years of driving experience OR one (1) year of driving experience if over 27 years of age; and
- An acceptable driving record; and
- If in possession of an out-of-state license, obtain a State of Texas Driver’s License within 90 days of beginning employment.
About our benefits:
- Full-time employees receive employer paid health insurance, short-term disability, and life insurance. *
- Optional dental, vision and pet insurance. *
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match, and 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Personal Holidays, 7 Paid holidays, and more*
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
*Benefits are prorated based on date of hire and hours worked. Eligibility is dependent upon FTE, status, etc.
For a the most up-to-date and comprehensive list of all openings with SAFE, please visit our job board.